Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Heart Autism

Today my Valentine's don't only go to my family & friends that I love, but to Autism too.

It may seem dumb to say you love something which has as caused as much fuss, pain, frustration, and problems as Asperger's Syndrome has for my family, but aside from the challenges which have taught me things I likely would not otherwise have known (blessings in themselves), my daughter has Asperger's -- and I love her.

Every part of her.

Not "in spite of" or despite whatever it is that we call "Aspergers Syndrome," but I love it too because it is part of who she is.

Since today is the second Sunday in February, today is also the International Day of Prayer for Autism and Asperger's Syndrome. My prayer is for understanding, acceptance, and assistance as needed for those affected by issues on the Autism spectrum. Which is all anyone can ask for, really.

No comments: