Monday, March 31, 2008

Of Wildfire (& My Ire)

In 1973, I was but a wee girl of 9. I love horses, galloped everywhere -- and where I didn't gallop, I imagined my bike was a horse, including mounting like it was one. Naturally, I adored the song, Wildfire.

But it wasn't just the pure horse love. I loved the romantic & mystical qualities of the song, the longing... Including that a man would sing of and hope for such things.
She Comes down from yellow mountain
On a dark, flat land she rides
On a pony she named Wildfire
When the world went by her side
On a cold Nebraska night

Oh they say she died one winter
When there came a killing frost
And the pony she named Wildfire
Busted down his stall
In a blizzard he was lost
She ran calling Wildfire!
she ran calling Wildfire! she ran calling Wildfire!

By the dark of the moon I planted
But there came an early snow
Theres been a hoot owl howling by my window now
For six nights in a row
Shes coming for me I know
And on Wildfire were both gonna go
We'll be riding Wildfire!
We'll be riding Wildfire! We'll be riding Wildfire!

On Wildfire (were gonna ride)
(were gonna leave some behind) Wildfire!
(get these hard times right on outta our minds... riding Wildfire) Wildfire




(Michael Martin Murphey, America's #1 Selling Cowboy Music Singer, performing Wildfire on Letterman, May 22, 2007.)

In 1973, hubby was but a fetus. And he claims to never know what song I'm talking about when I mention it. So I finally dragged him over to listen to it.

He took my hand and we slow danced in the living room -- which sounds awfully sweet and romantic, but then you didn't know that he was busy laughing at me.

Yes, a romantic sweetheart for proffering the chance to dance; but a meanie-bo-beanie for laughing at my little girl (and romantic believer) tendencies. :sigh:

Like most men, he giveth and the taketh.

I guess when Wildfire shows up, I'll be the only believer riding, leaving the hard times behind.

No comments: